Having knee arthritis can affect your entire life. Osteoarthritis, the most common form of knee arthritis, progresses slowly and gets increasingly more painful as time goes by. This is due to the fact that the cushion layer between your bones or cartilage continuously wear away, leaving bare bone exposed inside the joint and causing joint pain, loss of mobility, and even deformity.
Because it is a degenerative joint disease, there is no cure for knee arthritis – but there are effective treatments that can help you manage your symptoms.
Our world-renowned orthopedic surgeons at the Knee Surgery Center of Excellence specialize in the treatment of knee-related conditions. If you are interested in learning about the different procedures offered for knee arthritis in Los Angeles, please feel free to call our surgery center and schedule a consultation.
But in addition to surgery, there are many steps you can take in your daily life to help keep knee arthritis symptoms at bay.
1. Exercise to Promote Knee Health
While exercising may be the last thing on your mind when you suffer from knee arthritis, it’s one of the best measures you can take to keep your muscles strong. Low-impact cardiovascular workouts such as swimming, walking and bicycling can help keep your joints flexible and working longer.
Since the majority of knee arthritis patients are overweight, weight loss and a healthy diet can also significantly relieve the symptoms of the disease.
2. Wear Prescribed Knee Braces
Wearing knee support braces can have a huge impact on your knee arthritis symptoms. Not only can the braces relieve kneecap pain and help your ligaments heal, but they also provide warmth and support for your knee joint, which helps reduce pain in cold weather.
3. Surgical Treatment for Knee Arthritis
When self-treatment methods have failed to keep your knee arthritis symptoms manageable, or when your doctor recommends a procedure to supplement your current treatment, there are many surgeries for knee arthritis available.
Our orthopedic surgeons use state-of-the-art technology to perform the best knee surgeries in Los Angeles. Some of the surgical treatments for knee arthritis include:
- Knee arthroscopy: Arthroscopic surgery of the knee involves the insertion of a camera into the knee in order to determine the best and most accurate course of action for surgery. If you are interested in learning about undergoing knee arthroscopy in Los Angeles, please contact our surgery center and schedule a consultation with one of our top-of-the-line knee surgeons.
- Cartilage grafting: Some patients may require cartilage grafting for treatment of knee arthritis symptoms, and this involves removing and replacing the damaged or diseased cartilage and replacing with healthy cartilage. For more information about knee cartilage repair in Los Angeles, please contact the Knee Surgery Center of Excellence.
- Knee arthroplasty: Knee arthroplasty, also known as knee replacement is also an option for severe cases of knee arthritis. Patients can either undergo partial knee replacement or total knee replacement.
4. Knee Injections for Arthritis
As an alternative to surgical options for knee arthritis, there are also non-surgical treatments available. Our renowned knee surgeons perform cutting-edge injections for the treatment of knee arthritis.
- Plasma-rich protein (PRP) injection: In this new procedure, the patient’s own blood is used to produce injections for the knee, which help strengthen cartilage and soothe arthritic symptoms.
- Stem cell injection: This innovative surgery involves the use of the patient’s stem cells to directly treat and strengthen the arthritic cartilage in the knee.
- Viscosupplementation: This procedure involves a thick fluid called hyaluronate being injected into the knee, which helps lubricate the knee and relieve some of the pain associated with osteoarthritis.
Contact the Best Knee Surgeons in Los Angeles
If you suffer from the painful symptoms of knee arthritis, and have seen little to no results from exercise and self-treatment, please don’t hesitate to call the Knee Surgery Center of Excellence. You can schedule a consultation with one of our world-renowned orthopedic surgeons by filling out or online contact form or by calling (888) 429-6865.
Next, learn about meniscus repair surgery.