Arthritis in the knee is a common complaint heard at the Center. There are multiple types of arthritis affecting the knee, with both young and old patients susceptible to it in one form or another. Several factors can contribute to arthritis development, including age, weight, and genetics. Knee arthritis can also develop as a result of injury or repetitive stress and strain on the joint. At the Knee Surgery Center of Excellence, our award winning physicians are well-known for the level of treatment and care. Our doctors take pride in offering the most advanced knee arthritis treatment and procedures available, along with their extremely high rate of success. If you or a loved one is suffering from arthritis of the knee in Southern California, contact our LA knee experts today.
What is Knee Arthritis?
The condition of arthritis is principally defined as inflammation in the joints. This is usually caused by the wearing down of the cartilage on the joint surface. The knee joints are obviously a very important part of our bodies. Unfortunately, the joint most often stricken with arthritis is the knee joint. When arthritis affects the knee joints, the quality of life in the patient begins to deteriorate. Bone-on-bone rubbing leads to pain, stiffness and swelling. The symptoms associated with knee arthritis can significantly reduce mobility in a patient, in addition to potentially leading to further health complications. There is a range of forms of knee arthritis, which occur for varying reasons.
What are the Common Types of Knee Arthritis?
- Osteoarthritis – This is the most common form of arthritis. Estimates suggest that over 27 million individuals suffer from osteoarthritis. Known as the wear-and-tear form of arthritis, this occurs when the cushioning cartilage between the joints wears down. This form is most often due to age.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis – Most common in women and affecting both young and old, rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic autoimmune disease that forces the immune system to attack the joints. This is not a wear-and-tear form of arthritis. The exact cause isn’t precisely known, however the disease may likely be hereditary.
- Post-Traumatic Arthritis – This type of arthritis is caused by some sort of direct injury to the joint. These injuries often damage the cartilage and structure of the bone, leading to a change in how the joint functions. In these cases, the tissue in the joint wears down at an accelerated rate. Factors such as weight, repeated injury, and activity level can even further hasten the process.
What are the Symptoms of Knee Arthritis?
Although the exact symptoms of the various forms of knee arthritis may differ to some degree, there are common basic symptoms. Some of these symptoms include:
- Pain in the knee – Often develops gradually, worsening with time. It may also be worse after a long period of rest, such as in the morning.
- Knee Swelling/Stiffness – Knee joints can become stiff and swollen, making it progressively harder to bend or straighten the knee. As with knee pain, stiffness may also be worse after long periods of rest.
- Vulnerability to Weather – Some patients report that the degree of symptoms can fluctuate with different weather conditions.
- Warmness in Joint – The knee may begin to feel warm at times.
- Decreased Mobility – Even simple actions like walking, getting in and out of a chair or vehicle, or using stairs can become difficult with knee arthritis. This tends to get worse with arthritis progression.
- Noisy Joint – Cracking and creaking noises may be heard coming from the knee joint.
Each case is different, and patients may experience separate symptoms of knee arthritis. Arthritis tends to become more severe as time goes on. Therefore, it is important to note that early detection is imperative in order to halt the progression of arthritis. Only an experienced Los Angeles knee doctor like those at Knee Surgery Center of Excellence can properly diagnose your individual case and develop the most effective form of treatment.
Contact a Los Angeles Knee Arthritis Expert
Our doctors specialize in many forms of arthritis treatment, including both non-surgical and surgical methods. The surgeons at Knee Surgery Center of Excellence always treat surgery as a last resort when other, more conservative methods have been unsuccessful. Trust your knee joints to the best. If you believe you may be suffering from knee arthritis in LA, contact us today by calling 888.429.6865 or by visiting our contact page.